Friday, October 19, 2007

Yep, the brakes work...

It has been a while since a last post.

I was driving on the 110 this morning for the last observation of the group I'm studying for my thesis. The meet starts at 7 and, with a quick stop at Starbucks, it takes about one hour to get there from home.
I know all about L.A. traffic. Sans San Angelo, I'm a L.A. boy. That might change soon, but sticking with the now, I'm a L.A. boy.
And yet, it seem amazes me how crappy the traffic is at 6 in the morning. Long stretches of breezy cruising, then, the sudden stop because they built the damn freeway goofy.
Hitting that sudden stop and going stop and go until I reach Exposition Blvd., I thought this was a great metaphor for life. It might be stops and starts for a while, then a long stretch of cruising, then the sudden stop to make sure you don't hit the person in front of you.
Of course, this is at 6 a.m., pre-coffee, mid-straining to finish my thesis and post-trying to figure out metaphors on how to live life.

I haven't decided if this past year and a half was a cruise, a slow crawl or just a turn on the surface streets. In any case, it is about to end all too soon. Or maybe it's all too late?
That I'm not sure of either.

Eh, no matter. Life moves forward, traffic continues to get better and worse and luckily, I won't have to be waking up at 5 a.m. for some time.
Until I get a job, that is.

In other matters, I'm making a concerted effort to keep the M.A.Y.A. Years going. Trying to engage the shift toward a standard that seems to always be changing.

No comments: