Tuesday, November 14, 2006

All this talk about fat is making me hungry...

I'm sitting here in my Communication Policy class on Tuesday. This class is a simulation, in which class members take on official roles, either in government or in the private interest. I am Rupert Murdoch (the irony is so delicious...)
Right now, we are discussing regulation on advertising for junk food. The argument being offered is that the government has a responsibility to provide standards on how much advertising is directed at children and how much impetus should the industry have in providing healthy choices.
It's all great, but it leaves me with the issue of responsibility: at what point does personal responsibility end and social responsibility begin? Is there overlap? Or does it matter?
If working in tandem, than all aspects of accountability can be covered. Kids can eat healthier because parents are providing more nutrition, as well as the school, while the messages being sent through advertising is lessened.
But it doesn't work in tandem, and that is the problem.
What does that have to do with the M.A.Y.A. Years? Probably not a whole lot, except for the reality that somewhere along these lines, M.A.Y.A.s should have an active role in personal AND social responsibility.

Supposedly. (Of course, I say this with a slice of Domino's pizza next to me, as well as some Coke. And I really am craving a Krispy Kreme donut right now. Delicious.)

No comments: