Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Would you like foam on your career change?

For the past four years or so, I have worked in the career path of my choice, more or less. I am a news junkie and love newspapers. It breaks my heart to see them go down the vicious circle of corporate crap, but in the end, there is nothing better than picking up the paper in the morning...and doing the Suduko puzzle.
For several reasons, I quit my job at the last paper in July. The main decision was to go get my master's full-time, combined with I was tired of working nights and weekends and especially tired of the bullshit going on at the paper.
Fast forward a few months, and I got a job working at a coffee shop. It's about 20 hours a week, the boss seems quite nice and it'll be fun to do while I'm finishing up my degree. Plus, I'm thinking about opening up a coffee shop one of these days, so it's great experience.

So how come part of me feels like I'm now an official loser?

I'm trying really hard to fight this "career" mindset. It's the path of life...go to school, get an education, get a wife (or husband/partner/whatever works for you) and get a career. Not a job, but a CAREER. Do that for 40 years, then retire.

This is your life.

I want to do some many things in my life, including working at a coffee shop. Honestly, I have always wanted to do that. I think it would be tons of fun.

So how come part of me feels like I'm now an official loser?

Instead of going upwards and onwards, I just dropped on the social ladder, slightly to the left of "customer service representative" and "whinny blogger."
Wait...eh, never mind.

I don't consider this a career change as I do a "the opportunity came and I have the time and I want to do it, so I'm doing it while I can, dammit!" move.

So come visit, but don't ask for free coffee. Only the girlfriend gets that privilege...now, to find a girl and a friend...

No comments: