Thursday, May 15, 2008

Assessment time

Well, today is May 15 and in my internal calendar, it's assessment day.
I'm still here in D.C. and not in L.A. walking tomorrow at USC. Largely, I can't afford it and it was a case of either going to L.A. and staying there or staying here and trying to tough it out.
I almost have a sense of pride in how I've been able to step out in faith and have things work. Granted, everything is always working: it might not be as you want it to work or how it should work, but it is working. So, in that spirit, this is working. I took a step and and knowing that my life was changing and different, I went with it.
But, it's also not working and it's pretty disappointing at the moment.
Before I left L.A., I set up this date as my barometer as to the success or failure of this latest adventure. It worked because of graduation, the sublease was up today and it was a round number to the month.
In terms of work, I'm running right smack into the problem I thought I would run into. I'm in what's called middle hell. It's the reality that you're overqualified for entry-level positions and not qualified for the executive positions. It leaves a large gap with work experience. I knew that would be a problem with getting the masters now and trying to switch out of print journalism into something else. The masters does scare people because it means you want more money. Of course, I need more money so that I can pay off this ridiculous expense, but that's the screaming silence in the job interview.
Further combined is trying to get into something new and also being diametrically opposed in terms of location. I came here because this offers the best amount of options for some of the stuff that I wanted to do. While I got interviews upfront and was the running for two decent jobs, I'm now wondering if the advantages aren't working in my favor.
And it's a tough job market and it's tougher for men and it's harder for journalists because we care about everything and in the eyes of issues-based folks, that means we care for nothing. (Oh, and I can't even get anything with a temp agency!)
Thus, the ides of May.
I have no concept or clue of what is going to happen next. Right now, I need to buy myself more time, both literally and spiritually. Going back to L.A. isn't an option, so I move forward into more fog, hoping the sun is going to show up real soon.

No comments: