Monday, October 09, 2006

The Age of Unreason is fully upon us...

This passage comes from my consulting book, which is taken from Charles Handy's "The Age of Unreason."

"The status quo will no longer be the best way forward. The best way will be less comfortable and less easy but, no doubt, more interesting, a word we often use to signal an uncertain mix of danger and opportunity. ...While in Shaw's day, perhaps, most men and women were reasonable, we are now entering an Age of Unreason, when the future, in so many areas, is there to be shaped, by us and for us. ...for bold imaginings in private life as well as public, for thinking the unlikely and doing the unreasonable."

My old forensics coach had a sign on his door which said ADAPT OR DIE. No kidding.

I am of the belief that life is change. I am also of the belief that I have reached the limits of my reason. So, I need faith, apparently just enough of a mustard seed. It is funny that in our world, a little goes a long way. A little yeast, a little turn of the wheel, a little comment, or a little sparking smile. The emphasis on total and complete reason has left a lot of standing still. A little faith has created a lot of possibilities.

OK, back to studying.

No comments: