Monday, October 23, 2006

Monday musings-Week of Oct. 23

My life feels like Jello: slowly solidifying, but still wobbly and with that goofy gellatin aftertaste to it.

I am pretty much set on school: if I quit, it'll have to be on conscientious objector status.

I might get a job at a coffee shop. Why? (That's sorta rhetorical, it beats market research, I keep telling myself.)

I might be getting a place with a friend.

I might, I might, I might...

I'm sitting at Young and Lazy enjoying the Jazz, and I'm reminded of the Jazz Vespers at All Saints I attended last night. The band was kick ass, and the message was really good.

Fans of Don Miller's "Blue Like Jazz" will appreciate this: part of the allure of Jazz music is that part of playing is trying to figure out which notes to play. There's this strong sense of being in improvisational Jazz: the notes being play work for that particular moment, in that particular place, in that particular venue and for that particular audience. If a wrong note is played, all the musicians do is play another note. Don't be diheartened or disillusioned, just play another note.

The minister said that Jazz is holy. I agree. There is definitely a spiritual tangent to Jazz music, the understanding that life is improvisation. When I feel like I'm completely, blindly, absurdly winging it, it is in those moments that I am truly living.

Jazz music also can bring about good sex, which brings me to this:
  • Brits need more lovin

  • They said don't live a life full of regret.

    No comments: